Saturday, July 25, 2009

My bad experience on fedora 10 network bug


One of my friends chat with me on msn, saying that she just installed a new linux system, but the firefox connects nowhere, so she was in panic. After finding out their office didn't use dhcp, I realized what she wants is to set static ip address and default gateway. Simple enough.
I wish I knew fedora 10 have a network bug for static ip configuration, but I didn't!
I went through the normal steps.
Check OS information with "uname -a" and "dmesg head -1".
Check network information with "ifconfig", "/sbin/route -n" and a few ping and traceroute.
Ask my friend for the default gateway and the previous ip address (it's better to use the previous ip to save us from nasty kinks).
Educate my friend about the Linux desktop, where to find the GUI to fill in the ip address and default gateway.
Ahaaaa, here's the catch! She kept complaining that linux automatically changes netmask to gateway...
So, I decided to go the sure way --
Ask her to add default gateway into
/etc/sysconfig/network
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
And restart the network service by typing "service network restart"

She still complained that linux automatically changes netmask to gateway...

I got confused, but make another try -- "route add default gw xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx eth0" -- and got more confused after getting "siocaddrt no such process".

Now it's my time to panic...
After googling for a while, this post finally explained everything:
"Unfortunately, to date (8th/Dec/2008) there is a bug with system-config-network (GUI Version) in which it incorrectly stores the network mask as the default gateway address."
"Fedora 10 disables the "network" service in preference to using "NetworkManager", therefore NetworkManager will need to be disabled before enabling and configuring the network service."

Now I'm happy my friend's firefox can link to pages.

[ Socialize This]

No comments:

Post a Comment

meta.ai impression

Meta.ai is released by meta yesterday, it is super fast you can generate image while typing! You can ask meta.ai to draw a cat with curvy fu...