Monday, March 19, 2018

cellphone might be used by hacker as a zambie

Got a strange phone call from number +7 187489177.

The phone is called from a robotic voice, it is about a very important mail has been attempted to deliver to me for 3 times and failed. This phone call is the last warning, for more detail, press 2. Once pressed 2, the robot on the other side spoke a few words then dropped.

My phone displayed the origin of this location is russia. However, the 718 phone should came from New York. Strange, someone might be hiding the real phone number. At least that guy get me pressed 2, verified my phone number is real. When I call back that phone number, it gets into voice mail. I hang up the phone and felt suspicious.

When I google the number 7187489177, I got some information about 71874891*, but no particular information about the exact number. When I search the 7187489177 with bing.com. It turns out the phone belongs to a 2001 founded company Skotar Construction Inc. located in Brooklyn, NY. When I call the phone number today, it is always busy.

I think what happened is, a hacker from russia used an automatic phone calling software to call random phone numbers, using a legitimate phone number as the displayed phone number. Since the mobile network recorded the caller origin, the number and the location didn't match. The caller was either collecting legitimate phone numbers for later use or called a large amount of legitimate phone numbers trying to deny of service the victims phone 7187489177 with tons of call backs. Since I did call 7187489177, I might become one of the zombie recruited by the hacker to do the deny of service to the victim's phone.

The correct way of handling the robocall is:

  1. check suspicious caller origin.
  2. if the caller is from robot, and the content smells, don't press any button to give them feedback.
  3. search the phone with both google.com and bing.com to make sense of the story, knowing the displayed phone number might be the victim instead of spammer. Either way, you don't want to call back the number.


No comments:

Post a Comment

meta.ai impression

Meta.ai is released by meta yesterday, it is super fast you can generate image while typing! You can ask meta.ai to draw a cat with curvy fu...